A reminder that the Trans Agulhas inflatable boat race ends on Strand beach today, 1 January 2009, and may offer some interesting photo opportunities.
Chairman’s Note January 2009
It gives me great pleasure to introduce the Helderberg Photographic Society’s blog.
Designed and set up by Steve Crane, our computer expert, it will contain everything our newsletter of old contained, but in a different format … try out the tabs and see what you can find!
With every good wish for 2009!
Four judges (or one outside judge), scoring on a scale of 1 – 10, will judge – with a final maximum being 30 – the lowest score is discarded. When a judge has to score his/her own entry, he/she awards his/her image the lowest score (1). Images scoring 22 or higher receive applause, and are eligible for selection into the annual Interclub competition. Members whose prints and/or slides have been selected, are requested to retain their work until submission in October every year. The Western Cape Interclub Competition takes place at the end of October and is hosted, in turn, by one of the photographic societies in the area.
Agenda for Club Meeting Wed. 14th Jan.’09
Welcome and Notice Board
Competition: ‘Silhouette’; judged by a lecturer from the Stellenbosch Academy
A Presentation by Chris Joubert … ‘The People of Lubumbashi’ (formerly Elisabethville), DRC
Dance of Light Photography Workshops
Nicole, Guy and Eric Palmer offer a variety of workshops in the Stellenbosch area under their Dance of Light Photography banner. Here is some information on their programme.
- The PHOTO COURSE at Rhenish Girls High School consists of 7 lessons in the class room and 1 field trip. IDEAL FOR TOTAL BEGINNERS. Next course runs from 5 to 26 February 2009.
- The DIGITAL DAY for beginners is a ‘one day’ workshop introducing you to the first steps in PHOTOSHOP, an image editing software programme used to touch up images on the computer.
- The CREATIVE DIGITAL Workshop day is an ideal follow up where you will learn more advanced techniques.
- The MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY week end workshop teaches specialized techniques for taking extreme close-ups and requires specific equipment such as an SLR camera with a dedicated Macro lens or extension tubes. THIS WORKSHOP IS NOT SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS.
- The AUTUMN in the VINEYARDS weekend workshop concentrates on landscape photography. The photography side is not as technically detailed as in the Photo Course, and Photoshop work covers just the essential first steps to prepare your photographs for the analysis (critique) happening during the weekend. THIS IS A GOOD FIRST WORKSHOP.
- A 7 day, 6 night WORKSHOP is presented in spring at the end of September or beginning of October. This workshop teaches landscape photography, close-up photography and light painting amongst others. A WONDERFUL WORKSHOP FOR EVERYONE, beginners and advanced photographers alike. Due to unforeseen circumstance, this workshop can no longer be held at the usual venue and an alternative venue is being investigated. Details will be published as soon as arrangements are in place.
- Eric and Nicole are also planning a new weekend workshop, ideal for all levels of photographic competence. They will publish information about it on their web site as soon as details are confirmed.
Consult the following brochures for details on dates and cost of Courses and Workshops.
Eric also gives INDIVIDUAL LESSONS in the following
- Audio visual shows
- Camera tuition
For rates and bookings contact him by email at email@example.com or by phone on 082 697 9946.
Cedarberg Photographic Workshop
Presented by Wicus Leeuwner and JJ van Heerden, the workshop takes place in the beautiful Cedarberg mountains from Monday 4th until Friday 8th May 2009. Full details will be available soon from Johan van Zijl, the organiser (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mini Tip – Quick Way To Pose A Portrait
Here’s a quick tip that could help you improve your portraiture.
The Late Mr Jac Faure – Honorary Member
We respectfully announce the passing away of Mr Jac Faure, a senior Honorary Member of HPS. Longstanding members of the Club will remember his creative talent in making slide montages to good effect. The Late Mr Jac Faure and his wife Betty, were popular and very supportive members – a letter of condolence has been sent to Mrs Faure and family.
A Lighter Side ….
HPS Banking Details
HPS BANKING DETAILS
Helderberg Photographic Society
Nedbank Somerset West Branch
Account No: 2608 001 130 / Savings account
Branch Code: 16084900
Please enter your name as a reference!